CRITERION THEATER

The magnificent Criterion Theater was built in 1921 at 118 W. Main and seated 1,650. It was destroyed in 1973. This is one of several downtown cinemas which were destroyed in the 1970's urban renewal. Other noble cinemas destroyed were the State, the Midwest, and the Cooper Cinerama theaters. The 2nd picutre is from the 1950s.


1920s.criterion.jpg
Criterion Theater in the 1920s, 1921-1973, 118 W. Main. It was designed by Boller Brothers and was operated by the Paramount/Publix Theatre Circuit. The Criterion featured a French style lobby and auditorium with an art deco mezzanine. Originally, it seated 1,900 but with remodelings it seated 1,650. Images of the cinema shortly before its demolition can be seen in the  Jeff Chapman collection at the CinemaTour website.
1950s.criterion.jpg
Criterion Theater, 1950. A larger view of this image is
at 
this website.