|Crippled Children's Hospital. Crippled Children's Hospital, located at 900 E. 13th, opened in 1928. According to a lengthy October 28, 1928, Oklahoman article reviewing the history of the University of Oklahoma health center facilities, "The Crippled Children's hospital will care for 180 children. Crippled children from all over the state may enter the hospital." For those interested OU health center history, the full article is well worth reading. Click here for the 1st page and click here for the 2nd. The hospital, along with the new OU Medical School, were formally dedicated on November 2, 1928. Notice the large open courtyard in the back, more closely shown at the end of this mini-article. As a side note, also see the Ritz Theater in this 1922 updated to 1949 Sanborn map.
The hospital was renamed as the Oklahoma Childen's Memorial Hospital by the 1957 Legislature.
|This Oklahoma Historical Society aerial shows the relative location of the buildings comprising the OU Medical center in the late 1940s. Looking south, the Medical School building is in the foreground at the right, across the street from which is University Hospital. Children's Hospital is at the far left on the south side of NE 13th Street.
Here are some looks at the front of the hospital and its courtyard:
Credit Jim Edwards & Hal Ottaway, Vanished Splendor II (Abalache Book Shop Publishing 1983)
Below, credit the Oklahoma Historical Society
Notice the trolley tracks along NE 13th in the foreground
The above OHS photo shows the courtyard on the south side mentioned at the first of this article. As is shown by the September 10, 1930, Oklahoman article at the right, the courtyard was well used for the enjoyment of the children and numerous Oklahoman articles reflect that the hospital received the regular attention of civic organizations and other benefactors interested in the children's welfare.
Go To Top
Doug Dawgz Home Page Vintage OKC Clickable Map Vintage OKC Clickable Index
E-mail your comments, corrections, suggestions, etc.